Syracuse Water Heater Carbon Monoxide Poising Prevention

Posted by on Jun 6, 2014 in Water Heater Repair Syracuse NY, Water Heater Safety

We have just recently seen a couple of news reports about carbon monoxide poising being linked back to a water heater as the source and so felt it essential to inform some about that possibility today. Yes, any nonrenewable fuel source burning appliance creates this fatal gas. Including water heaters. However, with the appropriate setup of the water heater, together with periodic maintenance, and a working carbon monoxide gas detector in the house, one can sleep safely.

Reasons for Carbon Monoxide PoisoningWater Heater Repair Syracuse NY

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odor free gas that is a bi-product of the burning of a nonrenewable fuel source like wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, or kerosene. Breathing in carbon monoxide gas fumes not only prevents oxygen from being made use of properly by the body, but likewise triggers damage to the central nervous system. Persons with existing wellness issues such as heart and lung disease are particularly susceptible, as are babies, youngsters, pregnant women, and seniors.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide Gas

The winter heating season is when a bulk of carbon monoxide direct exposures occur due to using unvented supplemental heaters. An unvented supplemental heater is a type of space heater that utilizes indoor air for heating and vents the gases produced in the heating procedure out into the house. The majority of heaters of this type use kerosene or natural gas for fuel. While newer designs have oxygen sensing units that turned off the heater when the oxygen level in the room falls below a particular level, older designs do not have such safety functions. Because of these safety troubles, unvented space heaters have been banned in a number of states. Other sources of carbon monoxide are malfunctioning cooking equipment, tobacco smoke, clogged chimneys, automobile exhaust, malfunctioning furnaces and gas clothes dryers, wood burning fireplaces, and a water heater.

Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Below are the most typical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning however they are not always the exact same for every person who has actually been exposed and often times are similar to having food poisoning or the flu. A physician can assist in identifying for sure.

headache
dizziness
weakness
queasiness and throwing up
rapid heart beat
seizures
cardiac arrest
loss of hearing
fuzzy vision
disorientation
loss of consciousness or coma
respiratory failure

Defense By Proper Gas Appliance Venting

The CDC offers the following information on avoiding CO2 poisoning by making certain ones home appliances are vented properly.

  • All gas appliances must be vented so that CO will not build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Horizontal vent pipes to fuel appliances should not be perfectly level. Indoor vent pipes should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors. This helps prevent CO or other gases from leaking if the joints or pipes aren’t fitted tightly.  (read more…)

It is definitely crucial to have CO2 detectors in the house. The Colorado State University Extension offers the following tips when picking a CO2 alarm.

  • Some inexpensive alarms consist of a card with a spot (spot detectors) that changes color in the presence of CO. The absence of an audible signal does not meet UL or IAS requirements for alarms, so these devices do not provide adequate warning of CO.
  • Some CO alarms have a sensor that must be replaced every year or so. The expense of this part should be a factor in purchase decisions.
  • Battery-operated alarms are portable and will function during a power failure, which is when emergency heating might be used. Batteries must be replaced, although some alarms have long-life batteries that will last up to five years.
  • Line-powered alarms (110 volt) require electrical outlets but do not need batteries. They will not function during a power failure. Some line-powered alarms have battery backups.
  • Some alarms have digital readouts indicating CO levels. Alarms with memories can help document and correct CO problems.  (read more…)

The following video gives some good safety ideas for water heaters.

Not to scare anybody, but we likewise wanted to include the following video of a water heater set up that is not working properly and is harmful.

Please see a doctor promptly if you suspect that you or a member of your family might have carbon monoxide poisoning. Water Heater Repair Syracuse NY can not stress enough the need of making certain a professional plumbing repair business services and installs any water heater equipment in your home or business.